10/29/2016

Sweets over Chocolates, HAPPY DIWALI :)

The most auspicious and celebrated festival in India, Diwali is here with a bang! Sadly, I tend to get fatter and fuller during celebrations for I associate happiness with food and sadness with double the amount of food. For me, Diwali translates to Crackers, Sweets, New Dresses, Lamps and Lights. I am one of those who prefer sweets over chocolates, the one who prefers dessert in almost every meal and snack, oh yeah, that is me! I remember when I was small and on Diwali, Mom would take hours to finish her prayers to all gods in the evening, especially Lord Lakshmi and how I would be waiting desperately to go out and start burning crackers or eat sweets. Alas! I miss my parents, I wish I was there and also here. That doesn't make sense, I know! I must admit that I am quite petrified of the crackers which have "bombs" as their suffix and there are hell lot of them - mirchi bomb, laxmi bomb, atom bomb, sounds funny though and If I happen to see a girl bursting such crackers, I would be in such awe for her, she becomes my hero instantly. Diwali is when we raid our friends' place for sweets and crackers. The toughest part is when someone asks me to choose from a box of sweets and I ain't able to choose because I love all of them, all kinds of sweets whether barfi, samosa, rasgulla, peda etc. The day when you wear the most elegant traditional attires and make bright and beautiful rangolis in front of your house. And I was on the watch that nobody spoils the rangoli or if all the deeps or dias are still lighting or not. I am not sure why I did that! I can't forget how we celebrated Diwali in our hostels, dressing up nice and protecting our dresses from the crackers in the streets while we roamed and ate sweets at our professors' house. Holi in hostel was as crazy to be honest. The best thing about this Diwali is I got my first salary.

I do not know how I feel, I guess the feeling is bittersweet since I know how much I have sweated to land on a job that matches my interest and dream, and at the same time, I am intimidated by the fact that I have to earn my salary every month through hard work and determination. And often I tend to go astray because of my carefree attitude. There are a couple of things that I really feel are limiting in a job. First, the 9-5 rule, I know my saturation levels and I hate being tired when I am home and not able to do stuff that I love to do. Second, not able to take a vacation anytime I want. Earning sacks of money and yet not being able to spend it all on a vacation sounds lame to me. Perhaps it is just the beginning and I am just letting my mind go crazy so soon.
Well, I am going to put my pen down, figuratively :P
Happy Diwali to all, Stay safe, have lots of sweets and have FUN!

Trying to find her place,

2 comments:

  1. Thank God! You didn't put hunger as an excuse to end you article this time :P
    Waiting for the first salary treat :P


    P.S : Happy Diwali. Things will get better from tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe, I am always hungry! :D
    Yeah, come over soon and we'll party hard and go shopping!
    And thanks, Happy Diwali to you and your family too :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment if you can relate to this article.